Thursday, July 21, 2005

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 7/10

To celebrate the upcoming airing of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (GITS:SAC) on YTV, your Canadian home for anime on TV, and having just watched the last disc of the first season, I'm gonna review it. With no spoilers of course.

Running 26 episodes and airing in 2002-2003, GITS:SAC is an alternate universe to the 2 GITS movies that have been released in theatres and on DVD. The Major (Makoto) is still around, unlike in the second movie, and the human guy from that same movie is now one of the main characters. Some purists may HATE this but I really don't care. The more interesting characters the better I say.

This show looks amazing. The backgrounds are beautiful and the CG is well done and nicely blended with the rest of the show. The japanese VAs are pretty average, but nothing bad. I have only 2 complaints.

1.I HATE the CG intro but I LOVE the song. I suggest closing your eyes until it's over.
2. I really wish that the Major had been given a character design a little more like the original manga. She looks kinda dykey in my opinion. (I that a word? Dykey?)

GITS:SAC plays out a little like Witch Hunter Robin (WHR), where there's a running plot through the whole series, and a bunch of pretty stand-alone episodes scattered throughout the first 3/4 of the series. I always like this since as the show progresses you have a reason to watch the next episode because you're keen to find out more about the main plot. Some shows don't really get the main plot going until half-way through the series (Chrono Crusade) and I for one, lose intrest. The stand-alone shows are all quite good with usually quite a bit more action than the main plot episodes, which get a bit long winded at times with explanations. No fear though, it's not nearly as bad as the movies.

One of the great things about this show is the comic relief provided by the Tachikomas (sp?), the little blue tank guys. Even the most gritty episodes are lightened up a bit and I've always felt this is one of the most important elements in a great drama. Movie, TV series, play, whatever. Viewers need a break from the constant drama. I credit English Lit. 12 for that bit of insight.

I really feel this show is a step up in quality from WHR, so if you like that, you'll love this. To everyone else, check it out. It's recommended. More fan-service migh have been nice though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home