Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Koi Kaze 5/10

I just watched the 12th and final episode of Koi Kaze and I must say SOMETHING but let's review the more technical side of the show before going where angels fear to tread.

I liked the look of this show, the character designs were a style I hadn't seen before but the quality dipped here and there throughout the series. The voice acting was quite good and the music was average but I really didn't care for the end credits song. I like that crazy voice in fast songs like in Azumanga Daioh but not in the slow end theme used for Koi Kaze. This show ran for 13 episodes in 2004. Now on to the show itself.

Before I get into the plot here I have to mention I don't have a sister so I can't speak from direct experience on the whole brother/sister relationship and I've never been separated from my siblings for long periods of time so again I am not drawing on first hand experience.

In case you haven't heard, Koi Kaze is the story of a 27 year old guy living with his divorced dad. His mom lives with his now 15(?) (first year of high school) year old sister. They haven't really had ANY contact since the parents were divorced which was about when the sister was 2 or so. The brother meets his sister one day and I suppose falls in love with her without knowing who she really is. Not long after, the sister moves in with the two men so she can live closer to her high school. This is when the brother discovers her true identity and the remaining focus of the show is how the two resolve their feelings for one another.

This show deals with a taboo that's taboo even in Japan, brother/sister incest. My curiosity about the validity of this premise led me to do a little research. See http://flatrock.org.nz/topics/relationships/reunions_set_off_sex_urges.htm
for more information.

This show seems to be an accurate depiction of a situation that I'm sure could very easily ruin peoples lives and destroy a family. In my mind, the taboo associated with this situation, combined with the fear of losing the object of affection would cause the brother to act in the irrational ways he does at times in the series so I found the show realistic enough as far as this is concerned.

One plot hole I did feel detracted from the show was the idea that the siblings had had NO contact for about 13 years. C'mon, gimme a break. The only reason for this would be if the parents HATED each other and one of them had poisoned their kid against the parent they weren't living with. If that was the case then why was everyone so friendly when they meet later on? Using an adoption angle would've been more believable as far as I'm concerned.

Do I recommend this show? Yes. Even if it's an unnatural love story it's a love story and it's kinda nice. This show also works as a case study of a troublesome situation that I found interesing. Please take the time to read the website mentioned above once you've seen the show to put things in perspective. Whether or not you agree with me that the show is believable, this is one show I am interested in some second opinions.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm... ....
Nope, I can't come up with anything remotely decent for this one.
...
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home