Tuesday, July 19, 2005

New Cutey Honey 6/10

Watched all 8 episodes over the last couple of days. There's a bit of a story behind why it's taken me so long to see this show. A long time ago I was given a promotional video of Cutey Honey on VHS (about 1998). I had never heard of it but had enjoyed several ADV releases of the day which were all fan-service heavy: Devil Hunter Yohko, Plastic Little, Iczelion. So I figured, what the hell, it was free. The tape had 2 episodes and was marked 3, I know now these were episodes 5 & 6. I popped the tape in and hit play. What followed was the most annoying opening theme EVER. You know the one. Once the song was over I took out the tape and put it on a shelf I couldn't reach.

Fast forward to 2004. (SIX YEARS!!! oh man...i'm so old) I had seen Devil Lady and really liked it. So I went looking for more Go Nagai titles. Kekko Kamen was....interesting. Demon Lord Dante was edited so I boycotted it. MazinKaiser was good. Oh, what's this...aw crap. Cutey Honey. Sooooo I bought the Essential Anime version and brought it home, where it sat for a year.

In working through my DVDs I hadn't seen, Cutey Honey was next. I closed my eyes and was.....surprised. For the record this show came out in Japan in 1994 & 1995.

Since this is an OAV the animation is great throughout. The first 4 episodes have a great Japanese version of the song I so hated 7 years earlier. Wow. I liked the character designs and the VAs were fine.

The first 4 episodes make up one arc and the second 4 make up the second. Since a whole story is crammed into 4 episodes I can't complain about the plot. This OAV is actually based on a kid's anime that aired back in 1973! WTF! I can't help but think that these OAVs were created to fulfil some young boy's fantasy. Imagine if in another 10 years they produce an R rated Sailor Moon OAV with tons of breasteses. THAT'S an idea I can get behind! The fan-service here is well done and actually somewhat well thought out. (There's only one shower scene) If you like fan-service, this show is a pretty good one. It looks good and is evenly distributed throughout.

Two perky breasteses up! (Skip the openings on the second disc though.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home