Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Appleseed: Ex Machina 7/10

There's supposed to be a TV series after this. I'm sure lower production values are pending and that's really all that saves this movie. I dread the not so distant future of the franchise.

Character Designs 10/10: Great. The president lady seems to have had a face lift which is good for her. Deunan is a pretty cute looking character, much nicer bum that Beowulf.

Art consistency 10/10: Much nicer than the first movie, the shading is more consistent and the faces never have that odd "AutoShade with shadows turned off" look (if you know what AutoShade is you've just given your decrepit age away).

OP Theme N/A: N/A

ED Theme 6/10: Nothing special.

Voice Acting (Japanese) 8/10: Pretty good. No zany characters or anything so just standard voices.

Story 3/10: Sigh. How many times must I tell people: WEARING HEADPHONES IN PUBLIC WILL KILL US ALL! The whole idea of the villain taking over the general populace for no good reason is overdone, but then to use something I already find annoying as the means bugs the hell out of me. Maybe I'm just comparing it too harshly with the original movie.

In the end this is a pretty good action movie. Lots of guns and explosions and it looks pretty cool. Other than some main plot problems I haven't much to complain about. I liked the romantic sub-plot between Deunan and Brearios though the whole love triangle thing never really takes off since any woman willing to stick with her man after he's been turned into a cyborg isn't likely to dump him for his clone. (How many times will I have to write THAT sentence in the coming years.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just responding to your post you left on my blog about the movie. :)

I agree with you that the plot itself wasn't that great. I admit I put it as a "pro" only because I wanted to say some nice things about the movie. :D I did, however, like certain elements of the story/plot that gave the movie just a little bit of depth. Too bad we didn't see more depth and less zombies.

And on a side note, I'm flattered that you say my blog is "World Famous" in your links list. :D However my 15 minutes of fame are up, so within a few days it'll go from "word famous" back to "unknown."

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home